How to retrain your shrinking attention span
2018-03-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: The international bestsellingauthor Ann Patchett has written seven novels(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:国际畅销书作家Ann Patchett撰写了七部小说

and three nonfiction books.(2)
和三本非小说类书籍。

She contributes essays and criticism to anarray of newspapers and journals.(3)
她为一系列报纸和期刊贡献散文和批评。

And she owns a bookstore in her hometown ofNashville, Tennessee.(4)
她在家乡田纳西州的纳什维尔拥有一家书店。

A lot on her plate?(5)
她的盘子上有很多?

Well, most would think so.(6)
那么,大多数人会这样想。

But it's not a matter of juggling.(7)
但这不是一个杂耍的问题。

Tonight, in our essay, In My Humble Opinion,the case for doing one thing at a time.(8)
今天晚上,在我们的文章“我的拙见”中,一次只做一件事。

ANN PATCHETT, Owner, Parnassus Books: In my30s, I decided to get serious about baking.(9)
ANN PATCHETT,诗娜书店老板:在我30多岁的时候,我决定认真对待烘焙。

I bought cookbooks and went to work.(10)
我买了食谱并去工作。

It was shocking how often my attempts failed.(11)
我的尝试失败的频率令人震惊。

My cakes were flat, dry, sunken, flavorless.(12)
我的蛋糕平坦,干燥,凹陷,无味。

You name it.(13)
你的名字。

After taking careful inventory of my equipmentand ingredients, I was forced to call myself(14)
仔细盘点我的设备和配料后,我不得不打电话给自己

into question: Was I reading the recipe carefully?(15)
成问题:我仔细阅读食谱?

Was I following directions?(16)
我遵循指示吗?

Not exactly.(17)
不完全是。

I had done most of what was required, butnever all of it.(18)
我完成了大部分所需的工作,但从来没有完成。

So, I baked a cake while paying full attentionto nothing but the cake, and it came out perfectly.(19)
所以,我在烘焙蛋糕的同时,只注意蛋糕,而且完美。

It looked like the cake in the book.(20)
它看起来像书中的蛋糕。

Baking turned out to be a lesson in what weused to call reading comprehension.(21)
烘焙原来是我们过去称为阅读理解的教训。

I hadn't been paying attention to the text,which might have been because I was talking(22)
我没有注意到这些文字,这可能是因为我在说话

on the phone while folding the wet and dryingredients, or I was folding the laundry(23)
在折叠干湿成分的同时在电话中,或者我正在折叠衣物

while running the mixer, or making a noteto myself in the margins of the cookbook to(24)
同时运行调音台,或者在食谱的边缘对自己做笔记

write a piece about cakes.(25)
写一篇关于蛋糕的文章。

Behold, the confidence it takes to glanceat a recipe from the corner of one eye and(26)
看着,它从一只眼睛的角落瞥见食谱需要的信心

think it will all turn out fine, or beholdthe confidence it takes to drive a car while(27)
认为它会变得很好,或者看到它驾驶汽车的信心

sending a text message, though, if you'regoing to try and fail at multitasking, it's(28)
不过,如果你要尝试多任务失败,那就发送短信了

better do it in the kitchen than on the interstate.(29)
最好在厨房做比在州际上。

People like to ask me the secret to writingnovels.(30)
人们喜欢问我写小说的秘诀。

For me, it's the ability to stay focused.(31)
对我而言,这是保持专注的能力。

Admitting that I'm incapable of multitaskingwas the important first step.(32)
承认我没有多任务能力是重要的第一步。

In order to write a novel, I have to showup to work fully present and concentrate on(33)
为了写一本小说,我必须展现出完整的作品并专心致志

one thing.(34)
一件事。

It turns out this is also the secret to bakinga cake, and being in a successful relationship,(35)
事实证明,这也是烘焙蛋糕和成功建立关系的秘诀,

and being a good parent and a good friend.(36)
作为一个好父母和好朋友。

If your attention span has shrunken like asweater accidentally thrown in the dryer,(37)
如果你的注意力缩小了,就像一个意外地扔在干衣机里的毛衣一样,

and you want to stretch it out again, thenreading a book can serve the same purpose(38)
并且你想再伸展它,然后阅读一本书可以达到同样的目的

as writing one.(39)
写作一个。

Like baking, reading books can be the antidoteto fragmentation and distraction.(40)
像烘焙一样,阅读书可以成为分散和分散注意力的解药。

Chapter by chapter, you can retrain yourselfto pay attention for longer periods of time.(41)
一章接一章,你可以重新训练自己,注意更长的时间。

Books are also a great source of entertainment,education, and empathy.(42)
书籍也是娱乐,教育和移情的重要来源。

They're available for free at your local library,and are for sale at your local independent(43)
他们在当地图书馆免费提供,并在当地独立销售处销售

bookstore for a fraction of the cost of anew iPhone.(44)
书店的成本只是新iPhone的一小部分。

I was told this essay should be three minutes'long, that three minutes is the length of(45)
我被告知这篇文章应该是三分钟长,三分钟是长度

time people would pay attention.(46)
时间的人会注意。

So, read some more books, and next time, wewill talk for longer.(47)
所以,多读几本书,下一次我们会聊更长的时间。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org