To solve opioid epidemic, governors say there need to be federal dollars behind pledges
2018-03-12 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Now: an urgent call for greaterfederal help to deal with the opioid epidemic.(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:现在:紧急呼吁提供更大的联邦帮助来处理阿片类流行病。

It comes from a pair of governors whose stateshave been hit-hard.(2)
它来自一对州政府遭受重创的州长。

The governors of Maryland and Oregon cameto Capitol Hill recently to speak before a(3)
马里兰州和俄勒冈州州长最近来到国会山前发言

Senate committee.(4)
参议院委员会。

In Maryland, the synthetic drug fentanyl wasthe leading cause of overdose deaths last(5)
在马里兰州,合成药物芬太尼是导致过量死亡的主要原因

year.(6)
年。

And, in Oregon, people 65 and older are overdosingand abusing opioids at a greater rate than(7)
而在俄勒冈州,65岁及以上的人过量使用阿片类药物的比率要高于

any other state.(8)
任何其他状态。

William Brangham sat down with Maryland GovernorLarry Hogan and Oregon Governor Kate Brown(9)
威廉姆布朗格姆与马里兰州州长拉里霍根和俄勒冈州州长凯特布朗坐下来

shortly after their testimony.(10)
不久之后他们的证词。

Governor Hogan, Governor Brown, thank youboth very much for being here.(11)
总督布朗总督霍根非常感谢你来到这里。

What is it you think, generally speaking,the federal government doesn't understand(12)
一般来说,你认为联邦政府不了解的是什么?

about what are you facing?(13)
关于你在面对什么?

GOV.(14)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN (R), Maryland: I think maybe thatthis crisis is evolving so rapidly and that(15)
LARRY HOGAN(R),马里兰州:我认为也许这场危机正在如此迅速地演变

it is as deadly as it is, and that we reallyneed more resources from the federal government.(16)
它像致命一样致命,我们真的需要联邦政府提供更多资源。

That's the main thing we are trying to convey.(17)
这是我们试图传达的主要内容。

We're dealing now with fentanyl as the numberone killer in Maryland.(18)
我们现在正在处理芬太尼作为马里兰州的头号杀手。

It is different across the country.(19)
全国各地不同。

But we had nearly 2,000 deaths last area,and 70 percent spike in fentanyl, which is(20)
但是我们最近有近2,000人死亡,而芬太尼的死亡率高达70%

something the federal government has to getinvolved in from an interdiction stance.(21)
联邦政府必须从阻截立场中介入。

It's coming from China and it's coming fromMexico.(22)
它来自中国,它来自墨西哥。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: Governor Brown, what didyou come here to tell the federal government?(23)
威廉布朗汉姆:布朗总督,你来这里告诉联邦政府的是什么?

GOV.(24)
GOV。

KATE BROWN (D), Oregon: I wanted to make surethat they knew that Oregon and many other(25)
凯特布朗(D),俄勒冈州:我想确保他们知道俄勒冈州和其他许多国家

states, most of my governors are really focusedon treating this as a public health crisis,(26)
州长,我的大多数州长真的把重点放在将此视为公共卫生危机,

as opposed to a criminal justice issue, andthat it is so key that we focus on education,(27)
而不是刑事司法问题,而且我们关注教育至关重要,

prevention, recovery and treatment for folksthat are suffering from substance abuse, particularly(28)
预防,恢复和治疗遭受药物滥用的人,特别是

with opioids.(29)
与阿片类药物。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: I mean, the president hasdeclared this a public health emergency.(30)
威廉布朗汉姆:我的意思是,总统宣布这是一个突发公共卫生事件。

There is $6 billion theoretically coming downthe pipeline soon.(31)
理论上有60亿美元即将投入使用。

What more do you want the federal governmentto do?(32)
你还想要联邦政府做什么?

Where do you want that money to go?(33)
你想要那笔钱去哪里?

GOV.(34)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: There needs to be resources behindthose words.(35)
凯特布朗:这些词背后需要有资源。

He needs to put funding behind the action.(36)
他需要将资金投入到行动之后。

And we need financial assistance.(37)
我们需要财政援助。

We need assistance purchasing drugs that preventoverdoses from being successful, naloxone.(38)
我们需要帮助购买能够防止过量成功的药物纳洛酮。

And we -- it is very expensive.(39)
而我们 - 这是非常昂贵的。

And we need all of our first-responders tohave access to it.(40)
我们需要我们的所有第一响应者都可以访问它。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: This is the drug that reversesan overdose that can be given immediately(41)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:这是一种可以立即给药的过量药物

and bring someone back...(42)
并带回某人......

GOV.(43)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: Back to life, yes.(44)
凯特布朗:回到生活,是的。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: ... from what would havekilled them.(45)
威廉布朗汉姆:......会杀死他们的。

Can save their life.(46)
可以挽救他们的生命。

GOV.(47)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: Yes.(48)
凯特布朗:是的。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: Governor Hogan, you talkeda lot about fentanyl.(49)
威廉布朗汉姆:霍根总督,你谈了很多芬太尼。

You mentioned it here.(50)
你在这里提到它。

You mentioned it in your testimony today.(51)
你今天在你的证词中提到过它。

Can you explain the impact that fentanyl ishaving here in Maryland?(52)
你能解释一下芬太尼在马里兰州的影响吗?

GOV.(53)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: Fentanyl is between 50 and 100times more deadly and more potent than heroin(54)
拉里霍根:芬太尼比海洛因致命50至100倍,更有效

is.(55)
是。

And we already were seeing deaths all overthe place from heroin.(56)
而且我们已经看到了从海洛因到处的死亡。

But this is -- it's a real crisis.(57)
但这是 - 这是一个真正的危机。

It's not just in our state, but it is spreadingto many states across the country.(58)
这不仅仅是在我们的州,而是遍布全国的许多州。

And we had 2,000 people in Maryland die lastyear.(59)
去年,马里兰州有2000人死亡。

And this was the number one cause.(60)
这是最重要的原因。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: So, obviously, a state canonly do so much with regards to fentanyl.(61)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:显然,对芬太尼来说,一个州只能做很多事情。

This is -- that is an interstate and internationaltrafficking situation.(62)
这是 - 这是一个州际和国际贩运情况。

GOV.(63)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: Right.(64)
拉里霍根:对。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: So what do you want thefederal government to with regards specifically(65)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:那么你希望联邦政府具体如何处理呢?

to that?(66)
到那个?

GOV.(67)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: Well, we can't do -- the statescan't do much about things coming in from(68)
拉里霍根:呃,我们不能这样做 - 各州不能做很多事情来源

China and across the border in Mexico.(69)
中国和墨西哥边境。

It started out almost all this was producedand sent in from China.(70)
它开始几乎所有这些都是从中国生产和发送来的。

And a lot of it is coming through the U.S.Postal Service, believe it or not.(71)
其中很大一部分是通过美国邮政服务,不管你信不信。

So, there are a number of pieces of legislationhere to try to address that, provide additional(72)
所以,这里有很多立法来解决这个问题,并提供补充

technology to try to interdict and stop thisfrom coming in.(73)
技术试图阻止和阻止它进入。

And I think that the federal government canreally focus on that we can't do at the state(74)
我认为联邦政府真的可以专注于我们在该州无法做到的事情

level.(75)
水平。

And I agree with Governor Brown.(76)
我赞同布朗总督。

Treatment is the real issue.(77)
治疗是真正的问题。

And getting more -- $6 billion sounds likea lot, but in our little state, we put half-a-billion(78)
获得更多 - 60亿美元听起来很多,但在我们这个小国,我们投入了5亿美元

dollars just into Maryland.(79)
美元刚刚进入马里兰州。

And we still had...(80)
我们还有......

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: Half-a-billion in Marylandalone?(81)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:仅在马里兰州就有五亿美元?

GOV.(82)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: So, it's not enough.(83)
拉里霍根:所以,这还不够。

And we need the flexibility, as Governor Brownsaid.(84)
正如布朗总督所说,我们需要灵活性。

We need the federal dollars, and we need tobe able to utilize it as best we see fit out(85)
我们需要联邦资金,我们需要能够充分利用它,因为我们认为最合适

on the front lines.(86)
在前线。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: Governor Brown, you mentionedtoday that you feel the federal government,(87)
威廉布朗汉姆:布朗州长,你今天提到你感到联邦政府,

specifically, focuses too much on punishment.(88)
具体而言,过于关注惩罚。

What do you mean by that?(89)
你是什​​么意思?

GOV.(90)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: Well, we saw what happened inthe '90s as a result of the crack cocaine(91)
凯特布朗:呃,我们看到了90年代发生的可卡因爆炸事件

epidemic.(92)
疫情。

We ended up locking hundreds of thousandsof people, put them behind bars.(93)
我们最终锁定了数十万人,将他们置于酒吧。

Their lives were ruined, obviously.(94)
很明显,他们的生活被毁了。

It needs to be treated.(95)
它需要被治疗。

This crisis, this opiate crisis needs to betreated as a substance abuse problem, as a(96)
这场危机,这种鸦片危机需要被视为物质滥用问题,作为一个

public health problem.(97)
公共卫生问题。

And that means making sure that folks haveaccess to treatment.(98)
这意味着确保人们有机会获得治疗。

If folks don't have access to underlying healthcare and to substance and alcohol treatment,(99)
如果人们无法获得基本的医疗保健和物质和酒精治疗,

we can't solve this problem.(100)
我们无法解决这个问题。

GOV.(101)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: Yes, I would agree with that.(102)
拉里霍根:是的,我同意这一点。

It's really a -- we have been focusing onit from the four different areas.(103)
这真的是 - 我们从四个不同的领域一直关注它。

It's education and prevention and treatmentand interdiction, because you can't ignore(104)
这是教育和预防,治疗和阻截,因为你不能忽视

the crime part of the dealing of these drugsthat are coming and killing people.(105)
处理这些毒品的犯罪部分即将到来并杀害人们。

But it is -- most of our money has been putinto treatment.(106)
但它是 - 我们大部分钱都已经投入治疗。

And this is a mental health and health crisis.(107)
这是一场心理健康和健康危机。

It's very connected with mental health.(108)
这与心理健康密切相关。

But it is a health crisis across America.(109)
但这是整个美国的健康危机。

It is the number one problem we're facing.(110)
这是我们面临的头号问题。

GOV.(111)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: This issue touches every singleone of us, our families, our friends, our(112)
凯特布朗:这个问题涉及我们每一个人,我们的家人,我们的朋友,我们的

communities, our businesses in every singlecorner of the United States.(113)
社区,我们在美国每个角落的业务。

Every state has been impacted.(114)
每个州都受到影响。

This is an opportunity for Congress to stepup, Republican and Democrat, work together(115)
这是国会加强共和党和民主党共同合作的机会

and tackle this crisis.(116)
并解决这场危机。

And we need the help at the state level.(117)
我们需要州级的帮助。

I think Congress is committed to doing something.(118)
我认为国会致力于做一些事情。

We will see what happens.(119)
我们将看到会发生什么。

GOV.(120)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: Yes, I couldn't agree with thatmore.(121)
拉里霍根:是的,我完全同意这一点。

Governor Brown and I are of different parties,different coasts, opposite ends of the country.(122)
布朗总督和我是不同的党派,不同的海岸,国家的另一端。

We don't agree on everything, but this isone that I think nearly all the governors(123)
我们对所有事情都不同意,但我认为几乎所有的州长都是这样

in America agree on.(124)
在美国达成一致。

And I'm hopeful that maybe this will be oneof the things that actually gets done here(125)
我希望这也许是这里实际完成的事情之一

in Washington, because we need to.(126)
在华盛顿,因为我们需要。

It's about saving lives.(127)
这关乎挽救生命。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: You both have given veryconcrete examples of things you would like(128)
WILLIAM BRANGHAM:你们都给出了你想要的东西的具体例子

to see, health insurance, treatment, interdiction,et cetera.(129)
看,健康保险,治疗,阻截等等。

What role do you think that the simple shameand stigma around addiction, that it is very(130)
你认为围绕成瘾的简单耻辱和耻辱,你认为什么样的作用?

difficult for people, even though we knowthe science is crystal-clear on this, to simply(131)
即使我们知道科学对此很清楚,但却很难

say, I have a problem, my family member hasa problem, my co-worker has a problem?(132)
说,我有问题,我的家人有问题,我的同事有问题?

How serious is that?(133)
那有多严重?

GOV.(134)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: I think it's a very serious partof the problem and something that we're working(135)
LARRY HOGAN:我认为这是问题中非常严重的一部分,我们正在努力工作

hard to try to change, because this reallyis -- it's a health crisis.(136)
很难尝试改变,因为这确实是 - 这是一场健康危机。

It's a -- addiction is not -- you shouldn'tbe ashamed to come forward and get the treatment(137)
这是一个 - 瘾症不是 - 你不应该为自己出面并得到治疗而感到羞耻

that you need.(138)
你需要的。

GOV.(139)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: And I think that's one of thechallenges if the federal government continues(140)
凯特布朗:我认为如果联邦政府继续这是挑战之一

to pursue punitive approach, is that it makesit really difficult to erase the stigma of(141)
追求惩罚性的做法,就是要消除这种耻辱感真的很难

folks who are suffering with this illness.(142)
那些患有这种疾病的人们。

That is exactly what it is.(143)
这正是它的原因。

It is an illness.(144)
这是一种疾病。

And part of reducing the stigma, I think,is treating it like it is part of the public(145)
我认为,减少耻辱的一部分就是把它当作公众的一部分来对待

health issue that it is, as opposed to treatingit like it's a criminal justice issue.(146)
健康问题,而不是将其视为刑事司法问题。

GOV.(147)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: It's not just young people.(148)
拉里霍根:这不仅仅是年轻人。

Many of our addicted folks are older, becausethey are the ones that had more surgeries,(149)
我们许多上瘾的人都比较年长,因为他们有更多的手术,

more aches and pains, took more pain medicationsand got addicted.(150)
更多的疼痛和痛苦,服用更多的止痛药物并上瘾。

It is not just an urban problem.(151)
这不仅仅是一个城市问题。

It is every economic, every age group, everysocioeconomic group is affected by this.(152)
每个经济体,每个年龄层,每个社会经济群体都受到这个影响。

GOV.(153)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: That is where I think it's soimportant for all of us to share our stories.(154)
凯特布朗:那是我认为这对我们所有人分享我们的故事非常重要的地方。

We have all been touched by this horribledisease.(155)
我们都被这种可怕的疾病所感染。

What we can -- what the difference is, isthat we can all do something about it.(156)
我们能做的 - 有什么不同呢,就是我们都可以为此做点什么。

WILLIAM BRANGHAM: All right, Governor Hogan,Governor Brown, thank you both very much.(157)
威廉布朗汉姆:好的,霍根总督,布朗总督,非常感谢你们。

GOV.(158)
GOV。

KATE BROWN: Thank you.(159)
凯特布朗:谢谢。

GOV.(160)
GOV。

LARRY HOGAN: Thank you.(161)
拉里霍根:谢谢。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org