Starbucks arrest of men 'waiting while being black' sparks outrage in Philadelphia
2018-04-16 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Last week, two African-Americanmen were arrested in a downtown Philadelphia(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:上周,两名非裔美籍男子在费城市中心被捕

Starbucks.(2)
星巴克。

Amna Nawaz looks at how the Seattle-basedcoffee chain is struggling to address the(3)
Amna Nawaz着眼于这家总部位于西雅图的咖啡连锁店如何努力解决这个问题

resulting outcry on social media and elsewhere.(4)
在社交媒体和其他地方引起了强烈的反响

AMNA NAWAZ: And that outcry built to a crowdof protesters at that particular Starbucks(5)
AMNA NAWAZ:在特定的星巴克,一群抗议者被强烈抗议

today, unmoved by CEO Kevin Johnson's apologiesand call for unconscious bias training for(6)
今天,首席执行官凯文约翰逊的道歉无动于衷,并呼吁无意识的偏见培训

employees.(7)
雇员。

All this after video of last Thursday's incidentwent viral.(8)
所有这些在上周四事件发生后的视频都是病毒式的。

The clip shows police officers confrontingtwo black men seated inside the Starbucks(9)
该剪辑显示警察在星巴克内部面对两名黑人男子

as they wait for a third guest.(10)
因为他们等待第三位客人。

The store manager reportedly called policeafter the men asked to use the bathroom without(11)
据报道,商店经理在男性要求不使用浴室后称警方

buying anything first.(12)
先买东西。

Minutes of calm conversation follow.(13)
几分钟的冷静交谈随之而来。

Police officers eventually handcuff both menand force them to leave.(14)
警察最终手铐两名男子并强迫他们离开。

Starbucks' Kevin Johnson today called thearrests reprehensible, apologized to the men,(15)
星巴克的凯文约翰逊今天称逮捕应受谴责,向男子道歉,

and vowed to make sure this didn't happenagain.(16)
并发誓要确保这不会再发生。

For more on this, I am joined by PhiladelphiaCity Councilman Kenyatta Johnson, who represents(17)
有关这方面的更多信息,我参加了由费城市议员肯雅塔约翰逊代表

the district in which this Starbucks is located.(18)
这个星巴克所在的地区。

Councilman Johnson, thank you for your time,and welcome.(19)
议员约翰逊,感谢你的时间,并表示欢迎。

I want to begin by asking you now, since youhave met with a number of people involved(20)
我想现在就开始问你,因为你遇到了一些涉及的人

in this incident, why do you believe thatit ended up in this way?(21)
在这次事件中,你为什么认为它以这种方式结束?

KENYATTA JOHNSON, Philadelphia City Councilman:Well, you know, first and foremost, being(22)
肯尼亚约翰逊,费城市议员:嗯,你知道,首先,是

the councilperson of the 2nd CouncilmanicDistrict, which is a very diverse district,(23)
第二议会区的议员是一个非常多元化的地区,

but we also represent the Starbucks in mydistrict, I want to make sure, as a councilperson,(24)
但我们也代表我所在地区的星巴克,我想确保作为一名议员,

that no form of racial bias or racial profilingis accepted.(25)
没有任何形式的种族偏见或种族貌相被接受。

And so we called a press conference todayto address this issue and to denounce the(26)
因此我们今天召开新闻发布会来解决这个问题并谴责这个问题

recent arrest of the two African-Americanyoung men who were arrested after waiting(27)
最近逮捕了两名等待后被捕的非洲裔美国青年

while being black in the Starbucks cafe.(28)
而在星巴克咖啡馆里却是黑人。

And as we move forward, we want to make surethat Starbucks have come up with a plan to(29)
随着我们前进,我们希望确保星巴克提出了一个计划

specifically address the issue of diversityand inclusion, as well as addressing the issue(30)
特别处理多样性和包容性问题,并解决这个问题

of racial awareness when it comes to how theirbusiness operates.(31)
在谈到他们的业务如何运作时,种族意识。

AMNA NAWAZ: Now, Councilman, you have nowspoken to a number of people involved.(32)
AMNA NAWAZ:现在,议员,你现在已经和很多参与者交谈过了。

You have seen a lot more than most of us,who have only seen the video.(33)
你看过的比我们大多数人都多,他们只看过视频。

KENYATTA JOHNSON: Yes.(34)
肯尼亚约翰逊:是的。

AMNA NAWAZ: Do you believe that these menare the victims of racial bias?(35)
AMNA NAWAZ:你认为这些人是种族偏见的受害者吗?

KENYATTA JOHNSON: Yes.(36)
肯尼亚约翰逊:是的。

You know, everyone knows that Starbucks' brandis, you can come there, use their Wi-Fi and,(37)
你知道,大家都知道星巴克的品牌是,你可以到那里使用他们的Wi-Fi,

in that environment, you know, have meetingsand take a moment and take care of your day-to-day(38)
在这样的环境中,你知道,召开会议并花点时间照顾你的日常工作

business while you're inside their particularstore.(39)
当你在他们特定的商店里面的时候。

That's always a part of their brand.(40)
这永远是他们品牌的一部分。

In this particular case, you have two African-Americanyoung men.(41)
在这个特殊的情况下,你有两个非裔美国人的年轻人。

They're not dressed in suits.(42)
他们不穿着西装。

They're in Rittenhouse Square, which is ahigh-income area in Center City, Philadelphia.(43)
他们在里滕豪斯广场,这是费城中心城的一个高收入地区。

And the person who actually called the police,I believe, overreacted, when she had the interaction(44)
我相信,当她进行互动时,实际上叫了警察的人过度反应了

with these young men who said they were waitingfor someone to come and meet with them.(45)
这些年轻人说他们在等人来和他们见面。

And that resulted in her calling the cops,which resulted in the unnecessary arrest of(46)
这导致她给警察打电话,导致不必要的逮捕

the two African-American young men.(47)
两名非洲裔美国年轻人。

And so a lot of people in my district arein outrage.(48)
所以我区很多人都很愤怒。

A lot of people in my district want answers.(49)
我区的很多人都想要答案。

But, most importantly, they want to make surewe continue to hold Starbucks accountable.(50)
但是,最重要的是,他们希望确保我们继续让星巴克负责。

AMNA NAWAZ: So, let me ask you about that.(51)
AMNA NAWAZ:那么,让我问你一下。

Now, the first reaction from Starbucks wasa rather tepid policy.(52)
现在,星巴克的第一反应是一个相当不温和的政策。

The backlash grew.(53)
反弹增加。

There was then a more robust statement followedby a video statement from the CEO, Kevin Johnson,(54)
当时有一个更强大的声明,随后是CEO凯文约翰逊的视频声明,

in which he said this:(55)
他在其中说:

KEVIN JOHNSON, CEO, Starbucks: These two gentlemendidn't deserve what happened.(56)
星巴克首席执行官凯文约翰逊:这两位先生不配发生了什么事。

And we are accountable.(57)
我们负责。

I am accountable.(58)
我负责。

Now, going through this, I'm going to do everythingI can to ensure it is fixed and never happens(59)
现在,通过这个,我将尽我所能确保它是固定的,永远不会发生

again, whether that is changes to the policyand the practice, additional store manager(60)
再次,这是否是对政策和实践的更改,额外的店经理

training, including training around unconsciousbias, and we will address this.(61)
培训,包括围绕无意识的偏见进行培训,我们将解决这个问题。

AMNA NAWAZ: Councilman Johnson, are you satisfiedwith Starbucks' response?(62)
AMNA NAWAZ:议员约翰逊,你对星巴克的回应满意吗?

KENYATTA JOHNSON: Not at all.(63)
肯尼亚约翰逊:一点也不。

You know, listen, I have worked with severalmajor corporations in a variety of different(64)
你知道,听着,我曾与几家不同的大公司合作过

aspects regarding organizing for wages forlow-income individuals, and I know how this(65)
关于为低收入人员组织工资方面,我知道这是如何

game works.(66)
游戏的作品。

We need to see more than just lip service.(67)
我们需要看到的不仅仅是口头上的服务。

We need an action plan that specifically goestoward racial sensitive training, but also(68)
我们需要一个专门针对种族敏感培训的行动计划,但也是如此

a campaign to let the people here in the cityof Philadelphia know that anyone is welcome(69)
一场让费城城市人民知道任何人都受欢迎的运动

to come to the Starbucks cafe without being-- without fearing any type of racial or social(70)
来到星巴克咖啡馆而不是 - 不担心任何种族或社会

bias perspective when it comes to individualshanging out or coming to frequent and patronize(71)
当涉及到个人闲逛或者经常光顾并且光顾的偏见时

their business.(72)
他们的业务。

It's totally unacceptable.(73)
这是完全不能接受的。

Again, people are in outrage, and we haveto continue to make sure that they aren't(74)
人们再一次感到愤怒,我们必须继续确保他们不是

just giving an apology.(75)
只是道歉。

We want an action plan to actually addressthis issue.(76)
我们希望有一个行动计划来解决这个问题。

AMNA NAWAZ: You mentioned that the managerwho had originally first called the police(77)
AMNA NAWAZ:你提到那位原来首先叫警察的经理

to the scene, she has now reportedly beenremoved from the store pending an investigation.(78)
据报道,她现在已经在调查之前被从商店中删除。

Is that the standard to which you, as councilman,would hold other businesses in your district,(79)
你作为议员是否会在你所在地区的其他企业担任这个标准,

that they should remove employees who exhibitany kind of racial bias?(80)
他们应该排除那些表现出种族偏见的员工?

KENYATTA JOHNSON: Absolutely.(81)
肯尼亚约翰逊:绝对如此。

I would go even further to say if the evidenceshows that they have exhibited some sort of(82)
如果证据显示他们展示了某种形式,我会更进一步说

racial bias, they should be fired, to be frankwith you, because, at the end of the day,(83)
种族偏见,他们应该被解雇,坦率地对待你,因为在一天结束的时候,

nobody should feel, in the year 2018, anyform of racial discrimination, regardless(84)
无论如何,没有人应该在2018年感受到任何形式的种族歧视

of their background, regardless of their lifestyleand, most importantly, regardless of their(85)
无论他们的生活方式如何,最重要的是,不管他们的生活方式如何

race.(86)
种族。

And so this is totally unacceptable.(87)
所以这是完全不能接受的。

And Starbucks must be held accountable.(88)
星巴克必须承担责任。

And beyond just issuing an apology, beyondjust removing the young lady, we need to have(89)
除了发出道歉外,我们还需要除了取消这位年轻女士之外

an action plan to make sure there's racialsensitivity training for the employees.(90)
一个行动计划,以确保员工的种族敏感性培训。

We need to also make sure the people of Philadelphiaknow, from an racial awareness campaign from(91)
我们还需要确保费城人民从一场种族意识运动中知道

Starbucks, that anyone can come to Starbucksand feel welcome, without feeling that they(92)
星巴克,任何人都可以来星巴克,并感受到欢迎,而不会感觉到它们

will be kicked out based upon their race,creed or color.(93)
将根据他们的种族,信仰或颜色被踢出。

AMNA NAWAZ: Philadelphia City Councilman KenyattaJohnson, thanks for your time.(94)
AMNA NAWAZ:费城市议员肯雅塔约翰逊,感谢你的时间。

KENYATTA JOHNSON: Thanks for having me heretoday.(95)
肯尼亚约翰森:谢谢你让我今天来到这里。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org