'I’m not making trouble. I’m making progress'
2018-04-16 00:00:00


JUDY WOODRUFF: Meantime, Hollywood writerNell Scovell talks about the culture of harassment(1)
JUDY WOODRUFF:与此同时,好莱坞作家内尔斯科维尔谈到了骚扰的文化

that has plagued her industry.(2)
这一直困扰着她的行业。

Tonight, she shares tonight she shares herHumble Opinion on why it's still so hard for(3)
今晚,她今晚与她分享她的谦虚观点,为什么它仍然如此艰难

women to speak out.(4)
女人说出来。

NELL SCOVELL, Writer: Oh, yes, me, too.(5)
NELL SCOVELL,作家:哦,是的,我也是。

Recently, I shared my story about being sexuallymanipulated by a boss when I was just starting(6)
最近,我分享了自己刚开始时被老板性侵的故事

my career as a TV comedy writer.(7)
我作为电视喜剧作家的职业生涯。

I was in my 20s.(8)
我20多岁了。

He was in his 40s.(9)
他40多岁。

Now I'm in my 50s.(10)
现在我已经50多岁了。

Three decades later, going public has stirredup a lot of fresh emotions.(11)
三十年后,上市激起了很多新鲜的情绪。

But when a friend recently asked me, aren'tyou happy about the MeToo movement, I was(12)
但是最近一位朋友问我,你对MeToo运动不满意吗,我当时是

thrown.(13)
抛出。

Happy?(14)
快乐?

Of course I feel relief and satisfaction thatwomen who can are raising our voices and naming(15)
当然,对于那些能够提高我们的声音和命名的女性,我感到宽慰和满意

names.(16)
名。

But happiness doesn't really factor into this.(17)
但幸福并不是真正的因素。

With all the toppling of famous directors,actors and anchors, you may think it's become(18)
随着着名导演,演员和主持人的所有倾倒,你可能会认为它已经成为现实

easier to speak out about this.(19)
更容易说出这件事。

Nope.(20)
不。

Hollywood is still a place where if a powerfulperson behaves inappropriately, and you call(21)
好莱坞仍然是一个地方,如果一个强大的人行为不当,并且你打电话

them on it, you run the risk of paying theprice, which reminds me of an old Jewish joke.(22)
他们在上面,你冒着付出代价的风险,这让我想起了一个古老的犹太人笑话。

There's a terrible pogrom in the shtetl.(23)
在shtetl有一个可怕的大屠杀。

All the villagers are rounded up by the Cossacksand lined up against a wall for the firing(24)
所有的村民都被哥萨克人围起来,并排成一排墙壁,以便射击

squad.(25)
队。

The rifles are cocked, and the head Cossacksays, before we open fire, does anyone have(26)
在我们开枪之前,步枪是竖起的,头部哥萨克说,有人有

any last requests?(27)
任何最后的要求?

One of the villagers raises his hand timidlyand says, as a matter of fact, I do.(28)
其中一位村民胆怯地举起手,并说,事实上,我是这样做的。

His neighbor leans over and whispers, shh,don't make trouble.(29)
他的邻居倾斜而低语,嘘,别惹事。

We're conditioned to see the world throughthe eyes of the people in power even when(30)
我们有条件通过当权者的眼睛看世界,即使在这个时候

our backs are up against a wall.(31)
我们的背部靠在墙上。

By standing up for ourselves, somehow we getbranded as the troublemakers.(32)
通过站起来为我们自己,不知怎的,我们被打成捣蛋者的品牌。

Shh.(33)
嘘。

We're not.(34)
不是。

Writer Zora Neale Hurston observed, "If youare silent about your pain, they will kill(35)
作家佐拉尼尔赫斯顿注意到,“如果你对你的痛苦保持沉默,他们将会杀人

you and say you enjoyed it."(36)
你说你喜欢它。“

As difficult and as awkward as speaking outcan be, those who can should.(37)
像说出来一样困难和尴尬,那些可以应该的人。

It's our responsibility to so many who mustremain silent.(38)
对于那么多必须保持沉默的人来说,这是我们的责任。

And I don't agree with people who say thatit's time for male colleagues to shut up and(39)
我不同意那些说男性同事闭嘴的时候了

listen.(40)
听。

Just the opposite.(41)
恰好相反。

We need men to add their voices to ours.(42)
我们需要男人把他们的声音添加到我们的声音中。

They can also help by sharing salary informationand telling us about job opportunities.(43)
他们也可以通过分享薪资信息和告诉我们有关工作机会的帮助。

They can hire women and promote them.(44)
他们可以雇用女性并进行推广。

And the next time a woman makes a requestand someone whispers, shh, don't make trouble,(45)
而下一次,一个女人提出要求,有人低声说,嘘,别惹事,

I hope she tells them, I'm not making trouble.(46)
我希望她告诉他们,我没有闹事。

I'm making progress.(47)
我正在取得进展。

JUDY WOODRUFF: Hollywood writer Nell Scovell.(48)
JUDY WOODRUFF:好莱坞作家Nell Scovell。


All News Articles fetched from PBS RSS Feeds and copyrighted by pbs.org